Friday, June 15, 2012

Great Northern Bean Salad


This is what I have for lunch a lot of the time. I'm in love with bean salads-- they're high protein, high fiber, and just plain delicious. Most times I use bottled dressing which simplifies things, but when I have time I make my own vegan mayo. Veganaise is entirely too expensive around here for me, and I have a feeling it would be a bit too expensive on my waistline too, if you know what I mean. This mayo recipe is adapted from Melomeals and it's flippin' amazing. I haven't been able to find cooked white soybeans, only edamame, so my mayo always turns out green, but it's still delicious! The original recipe is here but I've modified it to make it even more low-fat and to not use lecithin, since I didn't have any.

Low-Fat Veganaise

Ingredients:
- 3/4 cup edamame
- 1.5 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water

Directions:
-  In a blender, blend everything together-- that's it!





Great Northern Bean Salad
Makes 2 servings


Ingredients:
- 1 (15 oz) can great northern beans, rinsed really well (you can also use chickpeas, smashed a little)
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 stalk green onion, green and white parts, chopped small
- 1/4 cup mayo (recipe above)
- salt and pepper, to taste


Directions:
- Mix all ingredients and enjoy on toast or with saltines-- so yummy! To be honest, I usually eat the whole batch with a spoon.

1/2 recipe: cals: 222kcal | fat: 4.63g | carbs: 37.95g | prot: 12.76g

No comments:

Post a Comment