These are pretty darn delicious! This is a shortcut recipe, and also the filling is entirely my own, so pretty non-authentic.
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Pies
makes 4 pies
- 1 packaged pie crust round (1/2 package)
- couple of tablespoons of flour, to roll out the dough
For the filling-- I used about 1/3 of the filling in the pies and ate the rest with chips- yum!
- 1 small sweet potato
- 1 package (5 servings) soy chorizo-- I use a brand called Cacique- it's really cheap, available at my normal store, and really good!
- 1 can black beans, rinsed well
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- Wash and dice the sweet potato and add it to a skillet with the chorizo and 1/4 cup water. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed (I didn't need any).
- Add the black beans, garlic, and cumin when the sweet potatoes are nearly finished (they'll finish cooking in the oven).
- Cook for a few minutes, until garlic and cumin are fragrant.
- Roll out your pie dough, dusting with flour if needed. Cut circles of about 6 or 7 inches (I used a bowl turned upside down as a template). Re-roll the dough and cut more circles until you've used most of the dough (it came out to 4 for me-- you can use both pie crusts if you're not making half for another filling).
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Fill each circle with 1/4-1/3 cup filling, fold over, and crimp the edges with a fork.
- I had quite a bit of filling left-- I only used about 1/3 of the total filling recipe-- but it's really great on it's own!
- When all are filled, put the pies on a cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, until they are lightly golden.
For 1 of 4 pies, altogether using 1/3 of total filling: cals: 312kcal | fat: 4.98g | carbs: 54.14g | prot: 12.16g