Friday, March 15, 2013

Mac and Cheese, St. Patty's Day Style!

 
May you always have...
Walls for the winds
A roof for the rain  
Tea beside the fire
Laughter to cheer you
Those you love near you
And all your heart might desire.

And green vegan macaroni and cheese for St. Patrick's Day, if that's what you desire!

So, I talked about my new mac and cheese the other day, and here it is! You can make this sauce as is, or, like I did today, you can make it green! This would be a perfect dinner to have with kids for St. Patrick's Day! Or lunch by yourself at your office. Or at home, like me! This cheesy sauce is also great on nachos!


 You can take it to go for lunch -- or just pack individual jars for easy prep.

Alrighty, down to the nitty gritty.....

The original recipe for this sauce comes from Bold Vegan. I was looking for a new cheesy sauce, since my other one, from Fat Free Vegan, includes onion and garlic powder. It really is delicious though, so try i if you can! Anyhoo, this one from Bold Vegan originally included onion, too but I think it's super tasty this way. I've made a couple of changes to make it to my taste -- a bit thicker and more healthy.

Ingredients
  • 1.5 cups potato, roughly chopped
  • 1 cup carrot, chopped
  • 2.5 cups water
  • 0.5 cup nutritional yeast
  • 3 tablespoons coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons oat flour, to thicken
  • 1.5 teaspoons salt
  • 0.5 teaspoon turmeric
  • 2 big handfuls (about 4 cups) fresh spinach, if you want it green!
Directions
  •  Add your water, potatoes, and carrots to a pot, cover, and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes.
  • When they're done, add the whole bit to a blender (including the water). Add the rest of the ingredients (except the spinach) and blend until super creamy, about 2 minutes.
  • If you want it green, add the spinach and blend until smooth -- I did this in 2 steps: one handful, blend, 2nd handful, blend. 
  • You really can't taste the spinach, which makes it great for kids! If you're sensitive to how vegetables taste, you may notice a bit of "green" but it's really good, I promise! The spinach will make it a bit more thin, so you can decrease the water or increase the oat flour if you want. I used about 3/4 cup of sauce for 2 cups of cooked pasta.


And here it is without the spinach. Perfect, cheesy color! (The little specks you can see are because my blender is on the fritz, it's normally completely smooth)

Enjoy your St. Patrick's Day celebrations everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment