Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Easy Chickpea Kale Bowl






We take a break from our regularly scheduled Thanksgiving updates to give you this yummy bowl. 


Vegans seem to eat things in bowls- just lots of stuff piled together in a bowl and it makes a meal. When we were staying with my family for a couple of months, my mom commented that it was a bit weird, but I've been vegan for 3 years and I mostly eat at home, where other people aren't looking, so I hadn't really noticed. But it is a little weird. I'll have to remember to share my favorite bowl with you guys sometime. I keep forgetting and I don't have any pictures. This one's really good though, and super healthy.

I also want to start sharing more of what I actually eat every day. Sure, I make a few recipes a week and generally live off the leftovers of big batches of soup or whatever, but I also make other, super simple meals. I'm sure other bloggers can relate to me on this-- there are just some meals that don't seem photo- or recipe-ready, or you don't want to bother with clearing off the table just to take a picture of your super-simple-but-super-yummy oatmeal. But I'm beginning to think it's worth it, and I remember particularly that daily food sharing forums from Veggie Boards and What I Ate Wednesdays really helped give me some good ideas when I was starting out-- they still do! So here is one of those quick posts-- it's super simple, not really a recipe, but yummy and I remembered to take a picture! You could really change up the ingredients endlessly, but this is what I had for lunch (and dinner, rolled up in a tortilla) yesterday. It was delish.

Chickpea Kale Bowl

Also, you can go check out my Pinterest page for ideas-- I pin stuff from here but mostly a ton of other things including a massive Vegan Recipes the Inspire Me board full of ideas and recipes!

Here goes!

2 Servings
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 tsp or small drizzle olive oil
  • 5ish baby portabella or cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 celery rib, sliced or diced, your preference
  • small bunch fresh parsley
  • 2-3 big sage leaves or other fresh (or dried!) herbs
  • 3ish cups of ready-to-go kale, or other green, or chop and wash your own
  • 1 can of chickpeas (my favorite, but your could use any bean
  • balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
  •  Drizzle tiny amount of oil into a relatively large pan-- I used my stockpot but I think the big skillet would have worked.
  • Drain your chickpeas in a colander and run water over them until they are fresh-looking and don't have that bubbly, gooey can juice on them anymore.
  • Slice or dice your veg and add to the pot, turning it on medium.
  • I love parsley and the amount I use is a small handful, about 1/4 cup once chopped. Take the tops off of your parsley by pinching or cutting. Slice your herbs thin. Then chop it all up together, alternating directions and re-scooping your pile until it's all finely chopped. Or you don't have to and just leave it chunky.
  • Add to the pot, then immediately add your greens.
  • Let them cook a couple of minutes, add some salt, pepper, and olive oil.
  • Add your chickpeas and cook a couple or more minutes 'til they're warm.
  • Finish off with a drizzle of balsamic--  taste as you go because it can get real crazy real quick-- and more salt and pepper, and voilà! Yum.
Note: If you use spinach as your green, add it last so it doesn't cook too long.

Also, I haven't been putting nutrition info on here because I wasn't counting calories for a while, and then I changed the program I used and the info format is different, but I know some of you liked that and I'm tallying again so here you go! 

cals (using 1.5 tsp oil) per 1/2 recipe: 286kcal | fat: 7.80g | carbs: 43.78g | prot: 15.26g

2 comments:

  1. Just wondering if you use vegan friendly tortillas. Most authentic ones are made with lard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! I use either non-authentic Mission or store-brand ones or I make my own with vegetable shortening or oil.

      Delete