Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Champagne Citrus Sorbet


It's been forever since I've posted. I was really sick and then really busy but things have calmed down now-- thank goodness! This is what I chose to do with my first minutes of freedom. It is just ridiculously good. I had some champagne hanging around from Valentine's Day that had lost it's fizz, so I didn't really want to drink it, but I didn't want to waste it either. If you made this with a fresh bottle, it might retain some of it's fizzyness-- that would be amazing. Anyway, this is amazing too.

Champagne Citrus Sorbet
makes 5 .5 cup servings

Ingredients:

1.5 cups champagne, divided
.5 cup sugar
1 T corn syrup
1 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
.5 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp zest (from just grapefruit or mixed)

Directions:
  1. Add 3/4 cup champagne, sugar, and corn syrup to a small pan. Bring to a low boil and then simmer, stirring, for about 10 minutes, until sugar is completely dissolved and some of the alcohol has cooked out.
  2.  Pour into a bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, and stir.
  3. Chill overnight (or in the freezer for a while) and then freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's directions. Transfer to your storage container and freeze about 2 hours before scooping. Because of the alcohol in this recipe, it won't freeze solid and stays scoopable!
Notes:
  • I'm sure you can use other kinds of citrus or even other fruits (I'm thinking strawberry!)
  • You can increase the sugar if you want, up to a cup, but I didn't find it necessary.
  • You can omit the corn syrup, but it's supposed to give it a smoother feel.
  • You can omit the zest, which I might do next time since the sorbet itself is so smooth. I couldn't decide if the zest detracted from the texture or added some interest. Either way, it's delicious.
Enjoy!

cals: 176kcal | fat: 0.10g | carbs: 31.55g | prot: 0.51g

Adapted from here http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/champagne_sorbet/ and here http://userealbutter.com/2012/01/05/pink-grapefruit-champagne-sorbet-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment